Mili Thakur, MD, FACOG
Mili Thakur, MD, FACOG provides compassionate and personalized clinical care to patients in our Grand Rapids and Mason offices. She joined The Fertility Center in September 2017. She is a board certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist who specializes in Reproductive Endocrinology, Infertility, and Medical Genetics. Dr. Thakur comes to us with a deep passion for offering individualized, evidence-based care for couples with infertility. In addition, she offers her expertise in medical genetics, fertility preservation, ultrasonography, and hysteroscopic surgery. Dr. Thakur’s special interests include research and education. She is fluent in English, Hindi, and Punjabi.
Dr. Thakur is accepting new patients.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Thakur at our Grand Rapids and Mason offices.
The dream of being a parent is difficult to achieve for some of us. It could be due to a struggle with infertility, a catastrophic diagnosis of cancer or a medical or genetic disorder threatening to affect fertility. The journey may seem long and difficult. The outcome of a healthy baby may seem distant and uncertain at times. There may be bumps in the road and many heart breaks. Yet some of us embark on this journey with the hope of being a parent. If you think that this journey is worth taking, I will take this journey with you. I pride myself in being a listener. I tailor my diagnosis and treatment plans to your personal and family needs. My job is to provide you with the latest most innovative evidence based information and management, in a way that you can understand and benefit from it, without feeling overwhelmed.
After working in two different continents and in a variety of healthcare settings, I am very excited to move to Western Michigan. I felt an instant connection with the vibrant charm and energy of West Michigan and I am eager and excited to serve this wonderful community.
Specialties and Expertise
- Reproductive Endocrinology / Infertility Management
- Medical genetics
- Male and female infertility
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Ovulation Induction
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Fertility preservation
- Egg freezing
- Egg donation
- Gynecologic surgery
- Pregnancy loss
- Family history of genetic disorder
- Family history of inherited cancer
- Carrier of a genetic disorder
- Premature ovarian failure
Education and Training
Doctor of Medicine: Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India, 1999-2003
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India, 2004-2007
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University School of Medicine /Detroit Medical Center, Detroit Michigan, 2009-2013
Combined fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and Medical Genetics, Wayne State University/ Detroit Medical Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Detroit, Michigan, 2013-2017
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics
American Medical Association
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMGG)
Society of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (SREI)
American Society of Reproductive Medicine
American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
Awards and Honors
- 4/2017 Award for best fellow oral presentation, Resident and Fellow Research Day, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- 1/2017 Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Scholarship Award
- 3/2016 Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Outstanding paper award
- 3/2016 Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Scholarship Award
- 2/2016 Pfizer-SRI President’s award by the Society of Reproductive Investigation
- 5/2015 Second prize, Fellow research – oral presentation, Annual Junior Fellow Research Day, Michigan Section ACOG meeting in Lansing, MI
- 5/2015 Third prize, Fellow research – oral presentation, Annual Junior Fellow Research Day, Michigan Section ACOG meeting in Lansing, MI
- 4/2015 John M. Malone, Jr. Best Clinical Science Poster award at the 2015 Wayne State University and University of Toronto Joint Scientific Conference in Detroit, MI
- 5/2014 First prize, Fellow research – oral presentation, Annual Junior Fellow Research Day, Michigan Section ACOG meeting in Lansing, MI
- 10/2013 ASRM Resident Reporter Award
- 6/2013 Arthur G. Seski, M.D./Chairman’s award for overall excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- 6/2013 Wayne State University Excellence in Academic Achievement Award
- 6/2012 Sydney F. Bottoms M.D. Award – Excellence in Research Presentation
- 11/2011 Wayne State University Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine Best Overall Resident Award
- 8/2011 Wayne State University Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine Best Overall Resident Award
- 6/2011 Wayne State University Excellence in Academic Achievement Award
- 1/2011 Wayne State University Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine Best Overall Resident Award
- 6/2010 Wayne State University Excellence in Academic Achievement Award
- 5/2010 First Place, Resident Research – poster presentation, ACOG Michigan Section Annual Junior Fellow Research Day
- 5/2010 Second Place, Resident Research – oral presentation, ACOG Michigan Section Annual Junior Fellow Research Day
- 4/2007 First Prize, Oral Presentation, Annual Meeting of Obstetrics and Gynecology society of Northern India
- 2003 Best Graduate, Medical School (MMBS) Class of 1998
- 2002 Kamal Puruskar (for academic excellence), Panjab University, India
- 2002 Swami Gold Medal (for academic excellence), Panjab University, India
- 2000-2003 National Science Fellowship to pursue research in medicine, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India and Indian Council of Medical Research
- 1998-2003 scholarship for being amongst the top 10% students of MBBS 199 class, Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
Dr. Thakur received her medical degree from Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India and was awarded the best graduate of her medical school class. After completing a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the prestigious Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India, a deep passion for specializing in the field of reproductive endocrinology and infertility brought Dr. Thakur to the United States. She completed her residency training in obstetrics and gynecology at the Wayne State University school of Medicine Detroit Medical Center, where she received the Arthur G. Seski, M.D. Chairman’s award for overall excellence in obstetrics and gynecology. She completed a 4 year combined fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and Medical Genetics at Wayne State School of Medicine/ Detroit Medical Center. Dr. Thakur was the first fellow in the country to graduate from this specialization, accredited by both the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology and American Board of Genetics and Genomics. She brings this remarkable expertise to her patients and their families and serves as a consultant geneticist to assisted reproduction practices around the nation guiding them in optimal utilization of genetic and genomic technology in reproductive health.
Dr. Thakur is a board certified obstetrician gynecologist and medical geneticist. During her specialization, she focused on basic, translational and clinical research at C.S. Mott Center for Human Growth and Development and Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics at the Wayne State University. She has contributed over 100 peer-reviewed publications and abstracts in medical journals and meetings and serves as a reviewer for over 10 medical journals including American Journal of Obstetrics and gynecology, European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology and the Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. She has been acclaimed for her research presentations at national and international meetings including the Society of Reproductive Investigation President’s award in 2016. She has been actively involved in the teaching of obstetrics and gynecology residents and fellows and volunteers as a lecturer for medical genetics courses for the medical student and genetics residents and counselors at Wayne State University.
When she is not working she loves to travel and try new cuisines. She also likes to build micro terrariums.
She is fluent in English, Hindi and Punjabi.
We began trying for a family and after a year with no luck, we were referred to The Fertility Center. I was so nervous for our first appointment, but left feeling at ease and ready to start treatment. Dr. Dodds was so personal, informative, patient and...